Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Christmas Project

About a year ago I bought a pattern for a card table fort and was meaning to make it for my kids. Then a few months ago I happened to find an awesome blog http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2009/10/felt-playhouse.html and she made the most amazing playhouse. I talked to my friend Tara about it and we decided that we would both make one for our kids for Christmas. We gave ourselves about a month to do it so we thought that it would be no big deal. It took A TON of time but I think it turned out really well. I basically copied the playhouse from the blog that we found. Tara and I split a lot of things and it was really fun working on a common project together. Once it was all said and done I realized that I didn't measure correctly and it is a little too tall for my table. For Christmas and these pictures I had to put a bunch of boxes on the table to make it look decent. I am going to have to make a structure out of PVC pipe or something but I am really proud of it. I am using it as one of my Young Women projects because it definitely took me longer than 10 hours to finish it. I barely finished it for Christmas but my kids really seemed to like it...except the fact that Will kept standing up and hitting his head on the table. Making this helped me realize that I am really not that bad at sewing after all. Thanks Tara! These pictures are terrible, but they're better than nothing...

A dog house complete with doggy door and bones that come off to feed the cute little dog.

An apple tree with apples that can be picked.

A garden with...

Corn

Carrots

and lettuce that can all be picked.

Tara went above and beyond and made this cute mailbag and mail for the mailbox (The mailbox door opens).

10 comments:

TheWallinFamily said...

That is the cutest thing ever!! You did such a great job. I'm sure your kids will have so much fun playing in it.

Anisa said...

I've seen that on her blog and I love it!!! I can't believe you found time to make it. You win mom and crafter of the year award in my book!!!

emily said...

Laura, I am so impressed. That is adorable!

Anonymous said...

It looks GREAT!! Thanks for the fun idea.

Hadley, Haylee, Preslie & Colter said...

Laura...that is sooo cute, I love it! You are so good that stuff! I wish I had the time,my kids would love one..too cute!

The A Team Mom said...

I am so so impressed! I read that blog too and even told my mom about that wonderful play house! I would never even attempt such a thing and look at you- it is so so awesome! Way to go!

Angie said...

I love this! You did a wonderful job. I have inspired me!

Puerto Rican Gringa said...

You finished it! It is so cute! I really miss you! I can't believe the month has gone by and we haven't got together. I leave this week and will be gone until Feb. Hopefully we can get together then!

Cooper Squared said...

Laura, I love it! You are amazing!

RO said...

This is me, bowing down and worshipping you. That is AMAZING!!!!